Friday, May 26, 2006

Heat and Humidity

I ran 5.3 hilly miles today with plenty of walking water breaks. It was a little hillier than expected since I got a wee-bit lost trying to figure out the neighboring subdivision... this is going to take a bit more effort than anticipated.

It is starting to get quite hot and humid here. Someone yesterday asked how I am so well-adjusted to running in this climate given that I came from the dry West Coast. I am not really sure but here are some guesses:
(1) I started running (in high school) in this heat and actually vividly remember a summer when I would run in Florida at high noon (lunch) back and forth over the bridges (only hills in town). Perhaps my body also remembers?
(2) My diet includes about 1000% RDA of Sodium. Good thing high blood pressure isn't something I contend with. I might also look into salt tablets (mostly because they sound yummy)...
(3) I drink a ridiculous amount of propel. And just a small vent but I hate it when people comment on how this is an expensive habit. I buy in bulk, about 50 cents for .5L bottle, and I usually max out at no more than 6 bottles a day = $3.00/day. How much does your Starbucks cost daily? And for sure this is healthier.

Anyways I sort of enjoy running in the heat and humidity in a very sadistic way. Can't wait for the upcoming Moon Pie Race (and I hope it is HOT ;)). I should really become a little better with the sunscreen though!

1 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be nice not to have to, you know, work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home