Sunday, July 02, 2006

We are now the new DoubleU Hotel

Quick rundown as I have guests in town:

Friday: Ran 4 miles in Florida. Not the greatest.

Saturday: Thought I had found a new group to do Saturday runs with. WAY TOO FAST. Turns out while they run between 7:30 and 9 min/mile pace in the group (as advertised), they all run the first four together in about 7:45ish. It was hot at 6:30am (it has gotten brutal here) and I wasn’t about to hold that for 10 miles …and this wasn’t a flat course I think I should mention. At about 6 miles, I had to take a minute walk to get my HR under control and suck down some propel (they not only run fast but they run sans liquid). I was a bit concerned because I didn’t know the route but I managed to catch up with one of the other runners who apparently doesn’t do medium-long-runs at 7:45 min/mile pace (he was in worse shape from sprinting the beginning than I was). Running with him the last couple of miles (we cut the run a bit short) was nice and the route went through some corn fields which was fun but this is not really how I like to do my longish runs (run until you die and then struggle across the finish line). Total mileage about 9 at approximately 8:10 min/mile pace. I could go on and on about such things as the fast female runner running sans sportsbra or the neat new trails I found but it’ll have to wait. The run did inspire me to run a bit faster and not to be scared of speed on training runs so I think that is good.

Sunday: This morning I ran a recovery 3. It was supposed to be 4 but it was hot, I was tired, and yesterday’s run took a toll on my body. We then went for a 6 mile hilly hike and swam a bit so a good recovery day.

I have some great stories from the weekend that will follow in the next few days but quick preview:

(1) Sister traveling with friend from NYC who happens to not have best friend in town…turns into uninvited houseguest.

(2) Sister bringing 4 loads of laundry, including over 40 pairs of underwear (query when was the last time she did laundry). I thought it was a joke that she was bringing laundry from NYC as she used to bring her laundry to our house in Menlo Park when she lived in SF. She doesn’t do laundry often but apparently is so finicky about it that when she does do laundry she needs to do her bras separate from her other clothes and her thongs separate from her granny panties…hence four half-empty loads. Sorry Sis, it is funny.

I am going to start counting miles Mon-Sun not to cheat or anything but I want to leave the option open to run long on Sat or Sun…although the inflexibility was a bit motivating and didn’t leave room for excuses.

4 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger mg said...

While not quite that fast, I had the same experience with the long run group in town where everyone ran fast at the start and then died. I stopped going after my 2nd run with them, because it wasn't any fun for me.

Hope the female runner without sportsbra is some kind of typo, because *ouch*!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Jess said...

If I owned 40 pairs of underwear, I could put off laundry so much longer -- your sister is genius!

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wrote:
"I run for many reasons. I hope to tell some of these stories here."

It would be great if you would also go into some of the deeper, philosophical issues in your entries.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great running! You are super fast. And what a great sister you are - I would have turned my sister away with that kind of laundry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home