Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Rest of the Long Weekend

With all of our houseguests, running took a bit of a backseat this long holiday weekend. I managed to run 6 miles in tremendous heat Monday morning (holding about 9:15 min/miles but I thought I had a bee in my pants so that created some speed). Tuesday was the Firecracker 5K which I ran along with all of our houseguests. We had a lot of fun and got all geared up in our matching dry-fit t-shirts before the race. We arrived in Maryland Farms around 6:35 and had to walk all the way to the back of the Y to pick up our timing chips. By the time we got back to the startline we thought we had only a couple of minutes left before the start. Unfortunately, there was a 10 minute delay until the pre-race festivities began as the police cleared the field and registration finished. Then we listened to a long motivational speech that we really could’ve gone without. By the time they sang the national anthem, did the pre-race announcements, and gave the invocation it was 7:20 and we were VERY hot all huddled together. The race itself went well. Mile 1 I spent trying to pass all the walkers and slow runners that started way too far towards the front (well maybe I started too far back too). Mile 2 felt really long and hot… I was kind of hoping I missed the mile marker but then unfortunately it appeared. I was a little worried about pushing it too hard in the heat so I decided I would take it down a notch for the beginning of mile 3 until I could see the Y and the cutback to the back of the Y and the finish line. Fortunately, mile 3 really breezed by and I felt good and continued to pass people which made me feel even better. I don’t have any sense of splits since I don’t generally wear a watch when racing but I finished with a chip time of 22:26. I didn’t run today because of bad rain and finally having a day alone with my friend but I think I am going to skip running with the girls tomorrow and get in a longer run.

UHG, Sister, Jamie, Friend:

















Sister, Jamie:

















As you can tell from the photos, I didn't get a lot of sleep this weekend (late nights and early runs = black eyes). I am hoping to catch up tonight, or maybe tomorrow, or at least soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home