Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Unexpected Houseguest (the "UHG")

Sometimes you just really think you are candid camera. Here is the abbreviated version:

Arrival minus 2 weeks: Sister reports that she is thinking of coming down to visit with her friend, UHG, for the 4th of July. Reportedly, UHG’s good/best friend lives in town and UHG wants to visit her friend and thought it would be fun if they planned their visits to Nashville at the same time. The trip was UHG’s idea—remember this.

Arrival minus 2 days: Logistics of weekend are discussed via email. I send email to sister and my friend (also coming for the weekend) regarding airport pickups and plans for the weekend. I ask if UHG would like us to pick her up at the airport and if in return her friends could drop them off Tuesday night since we are having a party then. Sister forwards entire email to UHG and asks if she needs a ride (copying me). No reply that I saw but later I inferred I was simply expected to pick her up.

Arrival: Husband and I were quite a bit late to the airport. Oops. We get the girls, get in the car and head back towards our home. I ask UHG “would you like me to just drop you off at your friend’s house (about 5 mins out of our way)?” Response is that UHG will just call and meet up with her later. We arrive home. Husband asks if she would like us to take her over to her friend’s later and therefore just leave her bag in the car for now. Nope she wants to bring it in. Husband carries it up and leaves by front door and then takes my sisters up to her bedroom. UHG follows behind and carries hers upstairs. I begin to suspect something.

Trip to shop/pick up my friend at airport: My friend’s flight is delayed and diverted for gas at the last minute. I ask if she needs to be someplace at some point. No deadline according to UHG so we go shopping. We get in store and sister gets me alone and says is it okay if UHG stays with as you apparently there was a miscommunication. Doesn’t seem to be a big deal and what am I going to say? Well I said it was fine but that I should call husband to let him know so he doesn’t try to throw her bag out the door again!

Sunday Dinner: We have been gossiping about her all weekend behind her back (of course). Husband’s friend has arrived and is in disbelief at story. My friend seems annoyed by her. Husband and I get steaks and chicken to cook for dinner. I owed her money from a shopping trip which when I try to pay she says she has forgiven. She then laughingly tells my friend and husband’s friend (both who she believes don’t know the story) the story of how she is an unexpected houseguest. At the end of her story I said that I had felt bad when I heard because I thought she must have been worried that she had flown all the way here and had no where to stay and must’ve felt uncomfortable. She then replied “I wasn’t worried and didn’t feel bad or uncomfortable, I knew it would work out I just needed to tell Kerry to tell you and then it would work out. I just didn’t want to be the person to tell you. I would never think to stay with my friend because she has a baby and I can only take so much of that.” Is that presumptuous? Turns out good/best friend and UHG probably spent less than 3 hours together all weekend.

Monday: My friend, my sister and I go shopping. UHG stays home to work. I worry that as we take longer than expected and stop for lunch she is going to be starving when we get home. I don’t think I needed to worry as she helped herself to food. Sort of glad that she wasn’t starving and I think it is fine to help oneself to food within reason (I hadn’t said anything) but she also opened unopened things (keep in mind we were having a party Tuesday) and I don’t know but that just seems to cross the line. Besides she is annoying me by now.

Tuesday: Now heading out to take UHG and sister to airport. Really wish UHG’s good/best friend was driving as we are expecting a crowd in an hour and a half! My sister has done all of UHG’s laundry while she has been here. My sister is now making the bed they shared. Honestly, I feel kind of bad for my sister but to use an awful pun “she made her bed [by choosing her as a friend], now she has to sleep in it.” UHG has drank about a case of my precious propel and honestly I just don’t really like her personality.

Running report (including today’s race report) coming next time I get a chance. Today’s race was fun but I saw a guy have a heart attack when I was cheering for my friends and it was very sad and scary. Fortunately, he is reportedly in stable condition.

3 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

OMG!! How rude of the UHG act that way. Why didn't your sister mention this ahead of time or have the UHG to ask you for permission to stay? I applaud you for handling yourself during the entire weekend. I would have pulled my hair by the 2nd day.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

WOW!! That is crazy. At least you got some good laughs at her expense. (Ya know, behind her back) Which is, by the way, one of my favorite past times.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

OMG - you poor thing!! Atleast your husband didn't kick her outta the house - mine would've!

Can't wait to hear how the Firecracker 5k went!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home