Saturday, July 15, 2006

Pampering...

I didn't run Thursday or Friday. I couldn't fall asleep Wednesday night because of general severe body aching. No injuries to note as of yet but I just didn't feel great. It has also been ridiculously hot and humid the past few days. Friday I headed out to run but it felt like I was running through a very hot swimming pool and just came back. Okay, it was 8:30am but Thursday and Friday were my last two days as a lady of leisure before I return to working 60+ hour weeks and I just didn't really feel like waking up early. I was instead treating myself to a little pampering JDoubleU style... that essentially involves me lounging in two oversized beanbag chairs reading and listening to the radio. Thursday I did 90 minutes straight on the elliptical to "make up for" my missing the 10 mile run this week. Friday I did 60 minutes on the elliptical and 60 minutes on the bike so hopefully I got some decent aerobic work in even if I didn't run. I am thinking my next purchase may need to be a treadmill if it continues to be this hot.

This morning it was still dreadful out but at least it was threatening to rain and so while it was 80 degrees at 6:30am with what felt like 100% humidity, it was overcast and at times there was a hint of the breeze. The guy I had committed to running with was not doing well with the heat and therefore there were a couple of short walk/water breaks involved and the pace was a bit slower than I would've wanted but we did get in 15+ miles averaging about 9:30 min/mile pace (keeping the clock running through our breaks). I have a hard time running that slow (which also was unfortunately prolonging my time on my feet and in the heat) and I was sweating like a fat guy… when we got to the end I was really lightheaded and I think I need to start taking salt tablets or something because I couldn’t stay on my feet and was worried I wouldn’t be able to drive home. I couldn’t have been dehydrated because I was still “all clear” and I had already had 50+ ounces of Propel with 20+ of them coming during the run.

In answer to a question, I am training for the Marine Corps Marathon. I am VERY loosely following the AM 55 miles schedule. Unfortunately, I will need to start getting most of my quality miles in on the weekend and I have a bunch of Fall obligations threatening to get in the way of my training schedule.

Maybe some more profound thoughts tomorrow but right now I am curled up in my two huge beanbags and I just want to veg.

Quote for the day: “I have a small problem because my mom was a little forgetful and neglected to use her brain today.” That was how I talked the Southwest Airlines lady into changing the name on my airline ticket that my mom graciously booked for me under someone else’s name.

5 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Take it easy when it's this hot. Take even the salt packets that you get at a restuarant will work just fine. Plus drink a lot of sport drink when it's this hot until your urine is lemonade color - then drink water. Nice job on your run.

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I don't live in FL. I think 80% humidity in Chicago is more than enough humid

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I'm glad the airline was able to change your ticket!! That is funny.

The heating is causing me to want to "veg" too. Hopefully it'll cool down some this weekend. Good luck!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

great quote. Enjoy your veg time!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Really enjoying reading your blog. Always great reading what other runners are learning and trying. Heat is challenging us here in Iowa. I'm training for Chicago. Good luck with your training for MCM. Keep up the good running and posting.

Tom

http://blog.runnerslounge.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home